IGI PLC aligns its development and growth with what it perceives as its obligations to the society. It has therefore adopted a corporate social responsibility culture that supports organisations, activities and causes which promote the values of good citizenship, youth development and healthy living, particularly through sport sponsorship and endorsements.
IGI also supports the three tiers of government in Nigeria in the provision of social and welfare services by contributing to disaster relief efforts and providing infrastructures and facilities.
Since inception, IGI has embarked on the following Corporate Social Responsibility activities: Support for the Nigeria Police, Traffic Control, Disaster Relief, Sports Sponsorship and Promotion, Sponsorship of Football Clubs and Youth Development.
Support for the Nigeria Police
- Provision of Hundreds of Police Public Complaints Boxes by IGI in strategic areas of Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital. This facility aids the police in their crime prevention and detection efforts.
- Donation of funds to the Victoria Island and Ikoyi Residents Association towards the procurement of security equipment to enhance security of life and property in the two communities.
- We installed road signs and mileage signals on the country’s highways to aid road safety and motoring.
- The three tiers of government – Federal, State and Local Government in Nigeria, have continued to receive IGI’s support for their road safety campaigns.
In the aftermath of the January 2002 Ammunition Dump explosions at the Ikeja Cantonment in Lagos, IGI donated cash and relief materials worth millions of Naira to the Federal and Lagos State governments towards providing aid for victims.
Sports Sponsorship And Promotion
The story of IGI’s involvement in sports sponsorship is as old as the company. Right from inception, IGI made sports sponsorship a pivot of its social responsibility programme, highlights of which are the following:
- IGI was involved in the sponsorship of the National Sports Festival in Makurdi in 1995
- In 1996, the company fully backed and financially supported the rehabilitation programmes of the athlete, Chioma Ajunwa who then proceeded to the Atlanta Olympics in USA to win Nigeria’s first Olympic gold medal
- At the World Cup in France in 1998, IGI sent a high profile delegation to support the Nigeria football team, and provided financial support to the then Nigeria Football Association to prosecute Nigeria’s campaign in the championships
- IGI was a major sponsor of the live telecast of the Japan/Korea World Cup in 2002
- IGI was the ‘Official Insurer’ and a sponsor of the 8th All Africa Games (Abuja 2003) held in Abuja, Nigeria in October 2003
- The company provided financial and material support to the Nigerian National Female Football team, the Falcons, enroute the team’s participation at both the 2007 World Cup held in • • Germany and the 2008 Olympics Games held in China
- IGI was the ‘Official Insurer’ of the MTN-African Cup of Nations held in Accra, Ghana in 2008
- The company was also ‘Official Insurer’ of Nigeria Police Games (Eko 2008)
- IGI was the ‘Official Insurer’ and sponsor of the National Sports Festival held in Kaduna in 2009
- IGI was the ‘Official Insurer’ of the Nigerian University Games (NUGA) held in Nsukka in 2009
- The company was also the ‘Official Insurer’ of the People-Police Marathon held in Abuja in 2008 and 2009
Sponsorship of Football Clubs
Football Clubs in the Nigerian domestic leagues have also enjoyed IGI’s endorsement, which involve financial and material assistance running into millions of Naira yearly. Such Clubs include 3SC of Ibadan, Rangers of Enugu, Bendel Insurance of Benin, Niger Tornadoes, Kano Pillars, Jos City Raiders and others.
ECOWAS Youth Football
IGI sponsored the first edition of the ECOWAS Youth Football Championship in Abuja in 2003.
Official Insurer of the National Football Teams
Since 2004, IGI has been the ‘Official Insurer’ of all the Nigerian national football teams, namely the Super Eagles, Olympic Dream Team, Flying Eagles, Golden Eaglets, Super Falcons, U-20 Female Team, U-17 Female Team, Beach Eagles and Home-based Eagles.
The company has also been named as the Official Insurer of the National league comprising Premier League and Divisions One, Two and Three.
IGI spearheaded the formation of the NYSC Foundation, which was a private sector-led initiative to revive the original ideals of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Scheme.
The scheme was initiated and founded by IGI’s Chairman, General Dr. Yakubu Gowon in 1973 when he was Head of State.
National Collegiate Sports Foundation
The company played the pivotal role in the formation of the National Collegiate Sports Foundation (NCSF), a private sector-driven body established to promote school sports.
Mr. Remi Olowude, IGI’s Executive Vice Chairman, is the founding Chairman of both the NYSC Foundation and the NCSF.